The Privacy Act aims to formalise the practices associated with handling Personal Information available to Companies in the private sector.
Computron Software Australia is committed to ensuring that the Personal Information it holds regarding its customers, contractors, consultants and job applicants is handled appropriately and lawfully.
This policy outlines the basic principles Computron Software Australia utilises when dealing with Personal Information.
"Personal Information" means information which identifies an individual or from which an individual’s identity can be reasonably ascertained and includes Sensitive Information. Name, address and home telephone number are examples of Personal Information.
Application of Policy
Computron Software Australia, its employees and contractors, will comply with this policy in handling Personal Information about its customers, contractors, consultants and unsuccessful job applicants.
Collection of Personal Information
Computron Software Australia, its employees and contractors, will only collect Personal Information that is necessary for its business functions and activities, or to comply with legal or regulatory obligations. It will collect Personal Information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
When collecting any Personal Information, the relevant party will be informed about:
- Why Personal Information is being collected
- How to contact Computron Software Australia to gain access to that Personal Information
- The types of organisations (if any) to which it may disclose the Personal Information
- Any law that requires the particular information to be collected
Use of Personal Information
Personal Information will only be used for the stated primary purpose(s) for which it was collected and in some cases for related secondary purposes.
Where Computron Software Australia needs to use Personal Information for purposes other than the stated purpose, it will obtain consent where appropriate and necessary. Exceptions to this include where:
- The use is required to lessen or prevent a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety, or to public health and safety
- Computron Software Australia suspects fraud or unlawful activity
- The use is necessary to assist a law enforcement agency in its law enforcement functions
- The use is required or authorised by law
- In such cases (except in cases of emergency, or where the use is required or authorised by law), the use of Personal Information will be authorised by the Managing Director
- Other than in cases of emergency, Sensitive Information will only be used and accessed by other Computron Software Australia personnel where there is a clear and compelling business or other need to do so and when the use is authorised by the Managing Director
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
Personal Information will only be disclosed to other entities (including related entities of Computron Software Australia) for the primary purpose(s) for which that Personal Information was collected, or in some circumstances for related secondary purposes.
Where Computron Software Australia wishes to disclose Personal Information for purposes other than these purposes, Computron Software Australia will obtain consent where appropriate and necessary.
Computron Software Australia is not required to obtain consent where:
- The disclosure is required to lessen or prevent a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety, or to public health and safety
- Computron Software Australia suspects fraud or unlawful activity
- The disclosure is necessary to assist a law enforcement agency in its law enforcement functions
- The disclosure is required or authorised by law.
- In such cases (except in cases of emergency, or where the disclosure is required or authorised by law), the disclosure of Personal Information must be authorised by the Managing Director.
Quality and Accuracy of Personal Information
Computron Software Australia, its employees and contractors, will take reasonable steps to ensure that any Personal Information used or disclosed is complete, accurate and up-to-date.
Retention and Destruction of Personal Information
Computron Software Australia will only keep Personal Information on file for as long as it is necessary to fulfil its business needs or legal requirements. When Personal Information is no longer required it will be destroyed or disposed of in a secure manner.
Access To and Correction of Personal Information
Individuals other than employees have the right to access any Personal Information about them that is held by Computron Software Australia.
Exceptions to the General Right of Access for Individuals
Individuals have a right of access to any Personal Information held about them upon request. There are a number of exceptions to this principle including:
- Where providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual
- Where providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals (this may be relevant where information about other individuals is included on a file)
- The request for access is frivolous or vexatious
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings where the information would not otherwise be discoverable
- providing access would be unlawful
- Denying access is required by law
- providing access would prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity
- providing access would prejudice law enforcement
- If a request for access to the Personal Information is refused, reasons for refusal will be provided. In cases where Computron Software Australia does not wish to grant direct access to an individual to the Personal Information held about the individual, then an agreed intermediary will be used to explain that information to the individual
Individuals may request that Personal Information about them be corrected.
Computron Software Australia, its employees and contractors, will take all reasonable steps to protect Personal Information and to safeguard Personal Information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Computron Software Australia requires its employees and contractors to comply with this policy at all times and treat the Personal Information handled in the course of their employment or assignment with Computron Software Australia in a privacy respectful way.
They must refrain from gossip about personal details concerning others, they must collect and handle personal information in accordance with this policy and take reasonable steps to protect any Personal Information in their care from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. This can include measures such as:
- Storing Personal Information in locked filing cabinets
- Having a clean desk policy
- Not allowing others to use computer passwords
This list is by no means exhaustive and other security measures may be implemented from time to time.
If individuals have any concerns about the way in which Personal Information is being handled, or believe that there has been an interference with the privacy of Personal Information, contact should be made directly to the Managing Director on email email@example.com or telephone +613 9005-4910. Complaints will be handled impartially and as promptly as possible in the circumstances. Only those people who are involved in the investigation of the complaint will have access to Personal Information in relation to the complaint.
For questions or further information about privacy and the handling of personal information, please contact the Managing Director on email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +613 9005-4910.